What We Stand For
The MHPSS Collaborative is a global platform for research, innovation, learning and advocacy. In the field of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS), we connect key academic and humanitarian actors with local civil society to give children and families in fragile circumstances the possibility to thrive.
The MHPSS Collaborative was born out of a response to a growing body of research on the impacts of Children’s exposure globally to unprecedented rates of violence, abuse, exploitation and neglect, particularly those in crisis, migration and displacement situations. Exposure to critical incidents and long-term adversity, and the failure of adequate child protection and nurturance, leads to devastating impacts on children’s physical and mental development, their potential to actively engage in the building of inclusive, peaceful societies, and the socio-economic development and stability of communities as a whole.
Investing in resilience-building and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) for children, youth and families in fragile and humanitarian contexts is a critical precondition for sustainable development that leaves no one behind.
The MHPSS Collaborative works across the sector to:
- Convene and facilitate partnerships to engage a broad range of stakeholders
- Develop and share knowledge, and advance local-to-global research
- Advocate toward donors and decision-makers for MHPSS as a life-saving measure
We focus on emerging challenges that require immediate attention for children and families in adversity:
- Education in emergencies and the importance of integrating MHPSS
- Migration and displacement: cross border care for children and families on the move
- Climate change and the cycle of impact on children’s mental health and psychosocial wellbeing
- Suicide prevention in humanitarian settings